Thursday, January 5, 2012

Love Yourself For Who You Are

We live in a society where people are obsessed with the opinions of others. Some wear certain clothes because someone else says they’re cool. Some buy expensive cars because they believe others will think more highly of them. Some women get plastic surgery because they believe it makes them more appealing. For some reason people are never truly happy with themselves. They are always striving to be something they’re not, and when it comes to they’re body image it’s the same story.
I always tell people “I am God’s imperfect perfection”. Let me explain what I mean. I am not the smartest or best looking man. I am not the most athletic or physically gifted man. I am not perfect in any way except I am exactly what God created me to be. To many times we look at ourselves and wish we were taller, smaller, slimmer etc. Instead of wishing you were something you’re not, strive to be the best you you can be and love yourself for it.
Just recently I asked a female client to tell me her fitness goals. She didn’t say she wanted to be healthier, improve her quality of life, or better her BMI (body mass index), all she said was “I want to be 130lbs.” I explained to her not to watch the scale, but to concentrate on decreasing her measurements. She gave me a funny look so I knew she didn’t understand from where I was coming. I had to explain to her that everyone’s body and muscle to fat ratio is different. While all she wanted to do was get down to 130lbs, she didn’t realize that the image in her head wouldn’t look the same in real life.
Men have the same issue. I’m 5’9” (I am no matter what anyone says), 190 lbs. I cannot look at a man that’s 6’4” 240lbs and say I want to look like that. If I do, I’m going into the gym with unreal expectations. Unreal expectations cause people to lose faith in their workout and eating practices and lead to them abandoning their fitness goals totally.
Moral of the story is when you enter into a workout program or decided to take steps to be fit, understand that you are God’s perfect imperfection. Your goal shouldn’t be to look like anyone else; it should be to create the best you possible. Not every woman is genetically made to be 130lbs. Not every man is blessed with the body of a professional athlete. One thing is for sure though; God blessed each of us with individual mental, physical, and spiritual gifts. It is up to us to strive to enhance the blessings that have been bestowed upon us. I tell people all the time “you will never find better 5’9” 190 lbs Corey Mac.” Love and accept you for who you are. Because if you can’t, how could you expect anyone else too.

No comments:

Post a Comment