Thursday, January 19, 2012

Control

The definition of control is the power to influence people's behavior or the course of events. So I ask you this, how much control do we really have over our own lives? Watching the news helped me realize that we have far less control than most understand. How much control do you have over natural disasters, or your company shutting down, or how people behave? The answer is absolutely none. The only thing we truly have control over is our own mind and actions.
I've seen my fair share of heartache and mental pain. I have been in situations that literally tested the strength of my sanity. During those times I realized two things, when it’s all said and done the only things controllable were my thoughts and reactions. 
When I was 31 I suffered the most significant loss of my life. The pain I felt was shattering, the type of pain that breaks a person down to their core. I cried everyday for months. I was filled with an anger that destroys men from the inside out. I came to a point where my heart and mind had to make a decision. Either I could crawl into a mental/emotional hole and wave the white flag, or I could wipe my tears and accept reality and the precious gift I had lost.
When this realization occurred, it seemed like heaven opened up and granted me the divine gift of understanding. I finally got it! Some people travel through life and never learn this lesson. Each day is truly a gift. Everything from your family structure, to the children you have, to the place you work, to the place you live can all change in the blink of an eye. No matter how hard you cry or how much you pray… nothing will change. The wisdom to understand this and the strength to accept it is truly a gift from above.
I understand that life is simply a test, and we all will have to stand in judgment in front of God. Take control over your reactions, what you say to others, and how you treat people. Accept your reality for what it is so you can empower yourself to change what you can. For me, it all goes back to the daily pray my Grandmother (RIP) instructed me to pray in my hardest times:
God grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can;
And wisdom to know the difference

No comments:

Post a Comment